An Act of Balance

Finding the balance between faith and fortune, between love and pain, between anger and despair - a tale of a Chinese woman born out of time.

Friday, November 04, 2005

Changing Perspectives

[Author's Notes] I spent a day thinking about it and yup, I'm tossing out what I have of Chapter 2.

Why? Because I deliberately shifted perspectives to that of Barbara's mother. While I think I managed to capture a different voice, I think the change in perspectives detracted from the story rather than add to it.

The main reason to change a perspective in a novel is to provide the reader with knowledge that the protagonist doesn't have. No matter how you dress your reasons, that is what it basically boils down to. Say, for instance, you wanted to show that the person the protagonist is angry at, was confused and not deliberately antagonistic, you might shift to that person's viewpoint.

At this juncture, I want Barbara to remain a flawed person, self-centered but fun to be around. Foolish, yet intelligent. Putting Eileen's perspective won't add anything except for provide a reason for Barbara to have gone to college at 16.

Okay. Chapter 2, take 2.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home